Washing hands with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer has been proven to be effective in avoiding the spread of the coronavirus that causes COVID-19. Since the virus has been demonstrated to live on surfaces for hours to days, the media has placed a lot of emphasis on sanitizing your home and workplace.
However, many individuals go in and out of cars throughout the day, and they don’t sanitize routinely touched areas where bacteria can disguise. If you work for a ridesharing or taxi company, keeping your vehicle clean is even more vital to prevent the virus from spreading.
Because of the many types of surfaces and the numerous crevices and gaps, disinfecting a car can be more challenging than disinfecting a home. Vehicle surfaces are also not designed to resist a continuous stream of harsh cleaning agents, and if cleaned too frequently, they will deteriorate.
WHICH CLEANERS ARE SAFE FOR CAR SANITIZING?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), soap, and water, as well as alcohol solutions containing at least 70% isopropyl alcohol, are the most efficient treatments for killing the coronavirus. These items are also safe to use in automobile interiors.
Hydrogen peroxide, bleach, and ammonia-based products are excellent at killing viruses, but they can harm leather and upholstery, as well as discolor fabrics. They can also irritate the skin and eyes, as well as burn them. According to new studies, cleaning with bleach can result in indoor air pollution.
Natural items such as tea tree oil, vinegar, and vodka have not been proved to be effective against the new coronavirus.
Use caution when cleaning infotainment and other touch displays with harsh cleaners. Wipe clean with screen wipes or a soft cloth soaked with soap and water. You can also use a wipeable cover to make cleaning and sanitizing electronics easier and safer.
THE OTHER THINGS YOU NEED
In addition to the cleaning solution, you’ll need to gather a few other things when disinfecting a vehicle’s interior. These includes:
- a pair of gloves
- vacuum cleaner
- screen wipes
- microfiber cloths for cleaning and drying purposes
- a jug or a bucket for mixing soap and water
- a brush for scrubbing stains
- the window cleaner for cleaning glass after disinfecting it
- leather conditioner (if your car has leather seats)
HOW TO SANITIZE YOUR CAR?
Keep the doors and windows open while cleaning, since some cleaning agents can irritate the eyes or throat. To completely sanitize your car, follow these steps:
- Wash your hands first, then put on disposable gloves. You should also use a face mask to protect yourself from dust, chemical inhalation, and any virus exposure when cleaning.
- Remove and shake out all floor mats.
- To remove dirt and debris from crevices, vacuum them completely.
- Mix soap in warm water in a bucket.
- Wipe down the seat surfaces with a microfiber towel dipped in the soapy solution. Scrub well, but don’t over-saturate the upholstery or leather with the solution. Mold can grow if there is too much water in the cushions.
- Using the soapy solution, scrub the previously removed floor mats. Dry completely with a towel after wiping clean with a second damp cloth.
- Wipe down all other surfaces of the vehicle using a wet soft cloth to remove dirt, dust, and anything sticky.
- Wipe off high-touch surfaces with a microfiber cloth or soft cloth soaked in 70% isopropyl alcohol or alcohol-based wipes (steering wheel, knobs, handles, levers, etc.).
- Use soap and water or alcohol to clean windows and mirrors. Coronavirus is not killed by traditional window cleaners. After disinfecting the windows, spray them with a window cleaner solution and wipe them clean with a microfiber towel.
- Dispose of any cleaning gloves and other disposable personal protective equipment (PPE).
- After removing your gloves, wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water.
- Warm or hot water should be used to wash any clothing worn during the cleaning and sanitizing process.
Cleaning your automobile is a crucial part of staying safe and preventing the spread of diseases. It is necessary to sanitize it daily. All high-touch surfaces, such as steering wheels, door handles, often used buttons and levers, armrests and seat belts, should be disinfected at a minimum.
If you find the above procedure difficult, you can seek the help of professionals. Orchid Company is all here to assist you in this. We offer a variety of services like car sanitization, interior design, and deep cleaning services. So, call upon us and get your car sanitized right away.